Network Research Process
The Building Wealth and Health Network (The Network) is a 5-year research study that began in July 2014. We plan to enroll a total of 750 TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) customers. We will conduct a quantitative analysis looking at survey data results from the 750 TANF customers from our program (the intervention group) and 750 TANF customers that are in other mandatory Employment and Training programs (the control group).
The study hopes to show that The Network helps individuals:
- Achieve and retain employment
- Increase their income
- Build assets by opening savings accounts and depositing money
- Experience greater self-efficacy and social connectedness
- Show improved maternal and child health
- Experience fewer depressive symptoms
- Build on their executive functioning skills
The Network became an official demonstration project with the Department of Human Services (DHS) by Governor Tom Corbett. The long-term goal of The Network is to improve maternal and child health and family self-sufficiency among TANF customers.